You can upload 1 more screenshot for this add-on.
You must be logged in to use this feature.
Upload screenshots related to this add-on only.
File types supported: .jpg , .gif, .png (4mb max).
Exact dimensions are 747px x 475px.
Changes from version 17b to 18:
- Deleted all soundtracks and voices used in the map from the movie. I tried really hard to get the rights/permission for the music, but I can't do it alone.
- All players survival record (time) has been reset to 0.
- Gascans can no longer be picked up from from wooden traps (that drop down explosives when you shoot them)(This is because experienced players would shoot the wooden traps then move and save the gascans until the horses blocked the armory).
- Gascans that can't be picked up are now orange color.
- Deleted 1 pipe bomb at the top of the stairs which you use to fall back at approx. 7mins.
- Deleted 1 molotov at the L4D1 bots location.
- Deleted 1 molotov and 1 pipe bomb close to the L4D1 bots location on the Deeping wall (To encourage experienced players to pick up a molotov/pipe bomb in the armory at the start).
- Deleted 1 pill(s) behind the L4D1 bots location at the platform.
- Deleted 1 molotov by the hay bales and saddles as you exit the keep and turn left.
- Deleted 1 molotov and 1 medkit by the hay bales outdoor below the wooden trap (when you shoot it explosives drop down).
- Deleted 1 gascan and 1 pill(s) on the second floor inside the keep.
- Deleted 1 gascan and 1 m60 inside the great hall (king's throne).
- Deleted unnecessary invisible walls and an unnecessary trigger_push.
- Gandalf no longer deals damage to special infected (tanks etc.).
- The sides of the hornburg (not the burning hay in the tunnel) unlocks 6 sec earlier for the enemies after you've lost the gate.
- Maximum tank spawn starts 5 seconds earlier when holding the stairs which you use to fall back at approx 7 mins.
- Deleted server logo from the vpk (of servers that no longer host the map).
- Deleted the readme.txt file inside the vpk, because credits have been moved to my website and the file also caused conflicts with other vpks (according to the feedback i've received).
- Players that don't have the vpk and click a public game in the menu will now be redirected to my website (changed website in the vpk).
- The "stack of gascans" inside the great hall (king's throne) now auto breaks earlier which means the the mounted machine gun will be set on fire earlier aswell (approx. 15 sec earlier).
Problems with the map? Here are the most common issues and how to fix them:
1. I can't install the map, it doesn't work, help!
Fix: The best way to install a vpk is to manually place the vpk in the addons folder: C / program / steam / steamapps / common / left 4 dead 2 / left4dead2 / addons
Start l4d2, in the main menu click "Add-ons". If you can't find the vpk in the add-on list then you didn't install it properly.
If Helm's Deep Reborn is in the add-on list but you still can't play the map then you need to refresh the add-on. Start l4d2, in the main menu click "Add-ons", and then uncheck the vpk and then check it (refresh). If it still doesn't work then restart L4D2.
Helm's Deep Reborn is a survival map, make sure you start a survival lobby and not a campaign lobby.
2. My server keeps crashing!
Fix: Some server plugins are known to cause crashes:
a) "!csm plugin". Never play as Francis, Louis or Zoey, this will auto kick you from the game at approx. 7mins (+crash server if you are host).
b) Some 8 player plugins may cause crashes.
I do not promote any server plugins. Use them at your own risk!
3. I get the error "Server is enforcing consistency", help!
Fix: Just join another server. All servers don't have the file consistency checking enabled. However if you are the admin/owner of the server you can write sv_consistency 0 in console, this will fix the error.
It's also possible that the vpk you have might be bad/corrupt. You might have to redownload the vpk.
"I don't even know who legolas is, is it the old guy with the beard?" - B. A. Baracus
"It's funny, your map was why I started playing L4D2, because a guy at my work kept talking about it for months and months xD" - The Dark Overlord
"I have to confess that I have never actually seen LOTR so I may be a bit lost to whats going on ;) " - TheVort
"Love the Helms Deep Reborn map - it is even more fun than Portal 2! :) " - Jeremy
"I cannot tell you how much fun my friends and I have had on Helms Deep, it's truly a fantastic experience!" - Andrew
"I dont have left 4 dead 2 installed anymore" - The Horror
Server hosting tips:
Recommended upload speed: 1 Mbit/s. Anything above is not necessary. The CPU is more important than the internet connection when you are hosting a map on your server.
Helm's Deep Reborn description:
- The first and only survival map with an ending.
- Movie based events. Fall back deeper into the Keep as you intend to charge out "for Rohan". Witness the only L4D2 map with a night to day cycle.
- Expand your abilities to work as a team, using a strategy is important.
- Competitive, get a better survival record (time) than other players. Leaderboards reset in every new version.
- NPCs that help you fight and balance the game. As time passes some NPCs die.
- Thousands of enemy attackers, while still being very optimized and playable on low end machines.
- Enemy spawns and events with random time intervals, for a unique and different experience everytime you play.
- Strategically placed items, mounted machine guns and explosive traps throughout the map for balance and fun.
- Custom made respawn system (teleport dead players).
- A complex scenario, however there are hints on-screen and in the chat box that simplify the scenario.
- The first map that uses "Map Refresher Basic" (MRB), which improves game performance.
- No "thick" map fog. No overdetailed environments, focus on gameplay.
- Easy to find and join a public game, unlike campaigns that have too many game modes which scatter players.
- A better experience than official LOTR games. Custom models and custom textures. Meet Gimli and Legolas.
All the main events occur close to the following times:
4 mins = The Deeping Wall explodes! (Turrets and new items will unlock at the platform behind wall).
7 mins = Fall back! (L4D1 Survivors will die at this time).
15 mins = Retreat into the keep! (The Great Hall, The King's throne).
20 mins = The horses go rampage and block the armory!
25 mins = The tower unlocks and sun rises.
26 mins = All players meet Gimli at the top of the tower, he will use the horn when you charge out.
27 mins = Charge out! (You will gain extra speed at this event and you will get to visit armory before).
28 mins = Gandalf arrives!
30 mins = A happy ending :) (All enemies defeated!)
Have fun playing Helm's Deep Reborn created by SeriouS_Samurai (Daniel) and team chivalry!
Tips how to improve FPS:
1. Download the latest drivers for your graphic card.
2. Defragment your hard drive.
3. Lower you graphic settings in options, for instance: Change the gore setting from "high" to "low".
4. Scan your machine for viruses etc.
1. Helm's Deep Reborn is the first map that uses "Map Refresher Basic" (MRB) developed by SeriouS_Samurai. It improves game performance when playing any type of map using the Source engine.
A map only needs to get refreshed one single time. Let's say if the Map Refresher Basic would refresh a map 2 times in a row, the second time would be useless, however if you switch server or exit the game you need to refresh the same map again in order to gain maximum performance. A map will automatically refresh after it has been loaded (after loading screen) and the map will also refresh each time you restart the map/round.
Map Refresher Basic does NOT reduce graphics or delete anything from a map, basically what it does is that it pre-calculates areas in the map, an easy explanation is that it removes all the areaportals in a map and then adds them back, but it does more than that(!).
The Map Refresher Basic only does its job at the beginning of a map (hence the name "Basic"), so if you join mid-game you will not have benefit of it unless you restart the map/round or join from the beginning. A more advanced version of the Map Refresher would be: If a player joins mid-game the map should get refreshed for that specific player.
Question: This sounds too good to be true, does the Map Refresher actually increase gaming performance when playing a map?
Answer: Yes. It increases average frames per second (FPS).
Question: Does the Map Refresher improve pings?
Answer: If you are playing and hosting a map at the same time, for instance: If you host a local server.
2. The error message: "ERROR: FLOW IS BROKEN - DIRECTOR CANNOT POPULATE WORLD" still remains (when you go idle), this is due to my desire of filtering the nav, something the game doesn't support at all.
I want tanks to be able to walk everywhere in the map - but I don't want the rest of the special infected to be able to do this - but I don't want the other special infected to disappear entirely either - just the areas they can walk should be limited.
There's no option to mark the nav and say "no hunters and no smokers can walk here but tanks can walk here".
The bug I use makes advanced nav filtering possible, and it also makes the special infected walk greater distance and it disables hanging when you walk of an edge. So I get 3 features by using 1 bug that gives the error.
3. Why is Bill dead next to the Deeping Wall? - Bill can be made as an extra bot standing there shooting randomly like Francis and Zoey, but I think it's already balanced as it is. Bill's death scene is shown in Criken's video of Helm's Deep (L4D1).
11/24/12 (Uploaded to the Steam Workshop Jan 18, 2013):
Changes from version 17 to 17b:
- Tanks should no longer fall down when taking the path outside along the windows on the second floor (the keep).
- Fixed players getting stuck (after you won the map) by the rocks at the top of the stairs which you use to fall back at approx. 7mins.
- 33% of the total amount of common infected will now spawn outside the keep when to horses block the armory instead of spawning when the sun rises (improves server performance).
- Deleted 1 molotov inside the Great hall (King's throne).
- After you've lost the gate: The sides of the Hornburg unlock a few seconds earlier for the enemies.
- All the pictures (server logos etc.) that appear when you win the map are now immune to sprays.
- Updated some files in the vpk referring to version 16.
- Deleted nonexistent melee weapon in mission.txt.
- All players survival record (time) has been reset to 0.
Changes from version 16 to 17:
The whole idea with this version is to make the experience less frustrating and more fun. The map is easier to win, but still proves to be a challenge. Several changes were suggested by the community! Thanks for all the feedback!
This version has a lot of small changes - but very small changes can make a big difference!
Full changelog (Detailed descriptions):
- Due to the name length of the previous vpk "helms_deep_reborn_v16" a lot of MAC users were unable to properly install the vpk. This major bug should now be fixed, the vpk name has been shortened to "helms_dr17".
- Fixed a major graphics issue: The day sky will no longer be pink/black checkered when shader is set to low in options.
- Added a new melee weapon! Sword and shield combination. The new melee weapon was created by Splinks exclusively for Helm's Deep Reborn (using existing detail models from the map).
In order to make the new melee more unique there's only 1 in the map, it can be found in the armory at the start. The new melee weapon deals more damage compared to some other melee weapons (Note: There are still weapons placed on walls as detail. If a shield/sword etc. doesn't glow you can't pick it up).
- All players survival record (time) has been reset to 0.
- Added a new high resolution loading screen, created in collaboration with Tsar.
- Added a new dynamic 3d-skybox created by Logan Dougall for me (SeriouS_Samurai) exclusively. Logan Dougall is the Vice President, Content Division @ Gamebanana.
Even though Logan did a great job I am still open to the idea of being able to change the actual sky instead of using this current method of having a night to day cycle in a single map.
- Added some things from the upcoming movie "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" in the map. Can you find these "things" in the map?
- New dynamic Legolas NPC! The new Legolas model was rigged by Splinks for Helm's Deep Reborn exclusively.
Instead of Legolas just being a random detail he will now improve gameplay and enchance the story telling aswell as making the entire map less empty. Legolas uses animations never before seen in L4D2.
Legolas will mainly block small pathways and work as a replacement for some invisible walls.
1. Legolas will stand at the bottom the stairs which you use to fall back at approx. 7mins and he will run up the stairs when you need to fall back. This is better than just having invisible walls that confuse players, this method is also better than having a door that breaks/opens because the NPC will work as a guide for the players when the NPC falls back.
2. Legolas will stand in front of the burning hay in the tunnel so griefers/inexperienced players can't trigger the gate event too early (This was perhaps the most frustrating that could happen and resulted in many vote kicks).
a) When Legolas is standing in front of the burning hay in the tunnel he will automatically move at approx. 9 mins.
b) Legolas will also automatically move when enemies are near (when enemies are about to enter the tunnel), so you don't have to hold until 9 mins - this is great if only 1 player is alive and the player needs to go back much earlier in order to survive.
3. Legolas will stand at the bottom of the stairs that lead up to the second floor inside the keep. This is because players would go up too early and bring down items from the second floor instead of using the items from the armory and from the Great hall.
a) Legolas will move a few seconds before the horses block the armory.
The dynamic NPC (Legolas) does not use a modern weapon to assist the survivors. The dynamic NPC (Legolas) does not heal players because then players would always hug the NPC and try to save their medkits and pills.
- Shortened game time (due to community feedback about having to defend some areas for too long). Take note that only the maximum time intervals have been lowered (see list below).
a) Reduced the maximum time interval for the deeping wall to break/explode by 8 seconds.
b) Reduced the maximum time interval for fall back (up the long stairs) by 8 seconds.
c) Reduced the maximum time interval for the keep to open by 8 seconds.
d) The sun rise (and when the tower opens etc.) is no longer based on how fast you kill/pass the witch, instead the sun rise is automatically controlled by time. If players didn't kill/pass the witch fast enough the sun rise would be delayed anywhere from 1 second to infinity in the old version (usually the delay was about 15-30 sec). This change also solves the issue with long silent pauses after 25+ mins due to the LOTR music not playing longer.
e) When the sun rises and maximum tank spawn starts, tanks will now spawn outside the keep instead of spawning at the bottom of the tower at the mountain section. This greatly reduces their walking distance to the top of the tower. This doesn't necessarily mean that it will be impossible to camp the Great Hall and the stairs in the tower once the sun rises, but it will be harder. This encourages players to meet at the top of the tower faster and therefore reducing game time. In addition, approximately 33% of the common infected will also spawn outside the keep in order to reduce the common infecteds walking distance.
- The door closests to the survivor spawn zone will now start open (to make the start "less claustrofobic", but also to reveal other parts of the map). The dynamic NPC (Legolas) will first appear standing in the doorway where the door has been deleted, here players will early experience that the dynamic NPC is blocking. The remaining door which is used to start the battle has a 3 seconds use time (press and hold use button feature), all players are more likely to be ready before someone decides to start, this also reduces the chance of a player accidentally starting the battle.
With only 1 door it should also be much easier to see who started the map, and the door also glows which makes it less confusing for beginners how to start the map.
- Increased the time until the enemies attack the gate by 10 sec (Gives more time to respawn dead players, setup gascans etc. but it's also necessary with more/longer pauses so it's not constant action all the time).
- Increased gate hp from 20hp to 100hp.
- The burning hay in the tunnel will continue to burn for another 19 seconds after you've lost the gate. The burning hay will burn a total of 25 seconds after you've lost the gate, which is more than enough time for all players to safely retreat. In addition the paths on the sides of the Hornburg unlock 10 seconds later for the enemies after you've lost the gate.
- Deleted the horn sound (at the start of the battle). (This will make the music sound better and voice chat becomes less noisy. This change also makes the scenario more accurate to the movie and you get no headache by starting the map, the sound was simply too annoying, too loud).
- Reduced the time it takes to turn off the LOTR music by 2 sec (the lever in the armory - it takes neither too long nor too short to turn the music off).
- Reduced the time it takes to use a respawn-lever from 6 sec to 4 sec (the levers used to teleport dead players). A respawn-lever can still only be used once, however I deleted the description: "Can only be used once", because it sounded a bit disencouraging while using a respawn-lever.
- Special thanks to The Fish for making a final and more optimized version of his Respawn Script (teleport dead players) exclusively for Helm's Deep Reborn (The script no longer sends out unnecessary messages in console etc.)
- Tweaked common infected spawns slightly for a "less frustrating" experience. In addition some enemy spawn points are more out of sight for players.
--- ITEMS ---
- Hunting rifle now only has 1 weapon in each weapon entity (the previous value in the old version was 2 for the hunting rifle). The new value nerfs the weapon moving tactic, improves realism and works as a minor performance improvement.
- Deleted 1 machete in the armory.
- Deleted 1 cs knife in the armory (there's no point having this many melee weapons at the start, and now when there's only 1 cs knife it will become unique).
- Added an ammo pile on the second floor inside the keep. The ammo pile on the second floor inside the keep has enough ammo for 2 minutes and 10 seconds after the horses have blocked the armory.
- Reworked the defib placements for "worst case scenarios" (if only 1 player is alive and he/she needs to respawn the entire team) (see list below).
a) After you jumped over the burning hay there would be 1 defib at the weapon stack, this defib has now been moved to the first respawn-lever.
b) Added an additional defib by the first respawn-lever, there are a total of 2 defibs close to the first respawn-lever.
c) Added 2 defibs by the second respawn-lever inside the keep.
d) When you win the map 1 defib will appear in the armory on the small table.
- Added 1 pipe bomb at the top of the stairs which you use to fall back at approx. 7mins.
- Replaced 1 propane tank (white explosive) with 1 pipe bomb left of the entrance of the keep.
- Added an m60 inside the keep on the second floor.
- Deleted 1 oxygen tank (green explosive) on the bridge outside the gate.
- Most of the items in the Great Hall (King's Throne) will appear after the players have left the armory so no player can shoot or toss a pipe bomb and trigger the explosives at the start - and so items don't glow through the dynamic NPC (Legolas) at the start of the map.
--- VISUALS ---
- Updated existing particles in the map.
- Improved overall map brightness slightly (brighter, more lit up). If you still think the map is too dark then simply go into options and tweak your own brightness.
- Reduced fog density from 0.25 to 0.20 (Graphics will be more crystal clear and you will be able to see enemies better in the distance).
- Fixed all remaining known texture flickering issues.
- New blend texture for the ground (outdoors) so the ground looks more "natural".
- Higher resolution overlays + added/replaced a few overlays.
- Higher resolution textures (in the armory, hornburg, tower... almost everywhere) and more texture "blend" (by the mountains etc.).
- The texture used on the fortress wall's floor (outdoors) no longer reflects the sky (because it was unrealistic, distracting and made it a bit hard to see items that were placed in these areas).
- Fixed all known gaps where you could see outside the map (Because the sky and overall atmosphere has been made brighter some extremely small gaps between brushes etc. became more visible).
- Fixed the water behind the Deeping wall not obeying gravity.
- Minor design improvements.
--- VPK ---
- Deleted hyphens from the map name and the description "Scripts" (in Extras -> Add-ons because this description was considered to be confusing, even though the vpk does contain unique scripts).
- Added a new add-on image.
- Updated advertising of different Steam Group Servers (Server logos appear after you win - the reason why I don't choose to display server logos at the beginning of the map is because it can ruin the map atmosphere).
- Deleted fan art made by Action-Crab of the Lord of the Rings campaign (the fan art will be placed where it belongs - in the upcoming Lord of the Rings campaign developed by me which includes 4 epic maps. The fan art of Helm's Deep Reborn which was also made by Action-Crab has not been deleted).
- Updated the readme.txt file inside the vpk (credits etc.).
--- FIXES ---
- Fixed a rare bug that caused the first soundtrack-mix to continue to play until approx. 30mins.
- Sometimes the rain would continue eventhough the sun has risen, this bug should now be fixed.
- Fixed a bug that caused more enemies to spawn during the gate event than intended.
- Fixed a bug that caused enemies to continue to spawn after you won the map.
- Improved the stop trigger for slow motion. It now fires from a more reliable source, it should work 100% now. (If all players died during slow motion at the Gandalf event the next round had a small chance of being permanently in slow motion and the only way to end it was to go back to lobby). If there are still bugs related with the slow motion please let me know.
- Rebuilt player push by the zombie spawns properly (far out in the field outside the fortress) (see list below).
a) Players can no longer climb up on the big rock by the main zombie spawn location.
b) Stronger push by the zombie spawns to prevent players from glitching with the adrenaline item.
c) Servers with plugins such as gravity, 8 player etc. can no longer push through and camp the spawns or cause players to get stuck at the zombie spawns.
d) Charges pushing players into the zombie spawns will longer cause players to get stuck.
e) Players can no longer access the bridge that leads to the gate at the start of the map. Same thing during the Gandalf event, once you reach the field and Gandalf arrives you can't run back to the fortress using the bridge.
f) Fixed the duration of the player push by the enemy spawns being too short.
- Fixed an error message (cubemap overlay) in console at the start of the map.
- Fixed some dynamic invisible walls being enabled a bit too long.
- Players using cheats such as "noclip" can no longer "half-start" the map (Moved outputs from the horn entity at the top of the tower to the door in the armory which you use to start the map).
- Enemies/Bots should no longer get stuck when trying to climb up the 3 ladders against the Deeping wall.
- Players can no longer camp the glitchy mountain sections between the bridge and the deeping wall.
- Fixed players being able to manually open the keep door outwards moments before it auto-opens and cause enemies to get stuck.
- Tweaked an entity that is used to spawn common infected, so the common infected don't spawn and instant die during the first phase of the Gandalf event.
- Fixed the last area where chargers could cause players to get stuck (next to the tower at the hornburgs outer wall by the mountain section).
- All wooden boxes are now breakable by the infected and by the survivors aswell. In addition, all wooden boxes have an increased hp from 20hp to 50hp.
- Fixed a glitchy spot at the top of the tower.
- Pressing use button (default "e") on the horn that Gimli is holding will no longer play the "use animation" for the player.
- Fixed bots completely freezing and tanks not being able to reach survivors in areas (see list below).
a) Fixed tanks not being able to reach survivors/bots completely freezing inside the keep by the 3 boxes to the left as you enter the keep.
b) -||- on the hay bales/5 wooden boxes outside the keep by the small tunnel to the left as you exit the keep.
c) -||- at the bottom of the stairs in the tower by the 4 boxes.
d) -||- by all the wooden boxes from the gate leading up (the ramp) to the keep.
e) -||- by the 3 wooden boxes by the ladder to the far left side of the gate.
f) -||- by the wooden box after you exit the long tunnel (after the burning hay).
g) -||- by the 4 boxes above the gate.
h) -||- by the 6 boxes at the bottom of the stairs that you use to fall back at approx. 7 mins.
i) -||- by the 2 wooden boxes at the top of the stairs that you use to fall back at approx. 7 mins.
j) -||- by the 5 boxes to the right as you exit the keep.
k) -||- by the conrete/stone mini pillar above the gate.
l) -||- by the conrete/stone mini pillar on the far left side of the deeping wall.
m) -||- by the conrete/stone mini pillar outside the keep (close to the witch).
- Fixed enemies sometimes spawning under a displacement.
- It's no longer possible to camp the glitchy edges right after you exit the tunnel (after you've passed the burning hay). In addition, tanks can no longer push survivors over these edges into certain death (These new invisible walls will disappear when you win the map). Bots would also freeze if they stood on these edges.
- Fixed players being able to stand on a super small edge by the l4d1 bots.
- Fixed players being able to stand on a super small edge at the Deeping wall edge far to the left side.
- When standing on the second floor inside the keep by the windows it is no longer possible to jump down on the stone torches.
- Fixed players getting smashed by tanks up to a buggy area behind the L4D1 bots location.
- The Hornburgs inner wall edge is no longer breakable by enemies. In addition the entire edge is no longer glitchy, bots won't freeze and tanks will be able to reach players.
- The Hornburgs outer wall edge is no longer breakable by the enemies. In addition the entire edge is no longer glitchy, bots won't freeze and tanks will be able to reach players.
- Fixed players being able to float in a specific spot in the stables area.
- Fixed bots standing in some bad places.
- Map textures no longer appear in the custom spray list in options.
- Improved nav around the section of the Deeping wall that breaks/explodes.
- Fixed one of the passages between the armory and the great hall not teleporting players/killing zombies/blocking armory properly when the horses go rampage.
- Fixed players getting stuck in/between the logs outside the keep, close to the witch.
- Fixed a cause to why tanks didn't appear after the horses blocked the armory.
- "Fall back" hint (and console message) no longer in caps lock.
- Fixed players being able to stand on 2 glitched edges inside the Great hall (the Rohan flags by the King's throne) when playing on servers with low gravity.
- The entire Deeping wall edge is no longer breakable. The edge is no longer glitchy (tanks should now be able to reach players).
- Optimized whatever could be optimized (see list below).
a) Deleted unnecessary brushes.
b)"Map Refresher Baisc" pre-calculates slightly slower but still within the time limit of the screen fade at the beginning of the map.
c) Disabled Legolas('s) shadow. In addition, all func_illusionary have been changed into func_brush + disabled shadow/receive shadow for these.
d) Deleted double/unnecessary outputs because more testing has been done and these outputs were a bit overkill to ensure that there were less bugs.
e) Fixed some areaportals being badly placed.
f) Optimized the size of some triggers/brushes etc.
g) Merged all nav areas that could be safely merged.
h) Deleted unnecessary connections in nav.
i) It should no longer rain below the map in some areas.
j) Deleted unnecessary nav areas.
k) Deleted minor detail outside the fortress far to the left side.
l) No more unnecessary entity parents.
m) Perfected fade distance of all models, overlays and particles (Not only does this improve performance but it also fixes some visual errors).
n) Deleted displacements that would appear when fortress concrete/stone edge parts would break.
o) Deleted clusters of brushes and rebuilt using only 1 brush for each respective area throughout the map. Mostly invisible walls have been rebuilt but also the fortress itself has been rebuilt in a much more optimized way. Apart from optimization this also smooths out player movement when walking into these brushes and players/npcs should no longer appear to be floating in areas.
p) Changed a prop_dynamic into prop_static (This model was supposed to have it's properties changed in version 16 but it managed to slip past my detection).
q) Changed FarZ Clip Plane from 7400 to 7300.
r) Added nodraw on the concrete/stone edges that are no longer breakable.
s) Fixed some brushes not being func_detail.
t) Tweaked lightmap scale on displacement Rohan flags that are covered by overlays.
- ... and loads of minor tweaks and improvements!
Changes from version 15 to 16:
An update is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to!
I would like to thank everyone for providing feedback. Most of the changes were suggested by the community!
--- KEY CHANGES ---
Helm's Deep Reborn is now powered by "Map Refresher Basic" (MRB) developed by SeriouS_Samurai (me). It increases your average frames per second (FPS) when playing a map (source engine). At the moment it ONLY works for Helm's Deep Reborn in L4D2. Installing Helm's Deep Reborn VPK for L4D2 will NOT enchance performance for any other maps you have installed on your machine for L4D2 or any other game or mod.
How it works: The Map Refresher Basic does what the name says, it refreshes a map before you play it. It pre-calculates areas in the map - this means that the first seconds, after you load/restart a map, will be extremely laggy - followed by improved FPS. The amount of fps improved depends on what system you have.
- Everyone's survival record (time) has been reset to 0.
- Added a custom made respawn system, scripted by The Fish, the maker of "The Sacrifice True Ending". The Fish made the respawn-script exclusively for Helm's Deep Reborn only and it's the first map to ever have it. If you are going to use this respawn-script for your own map make sure you give credits to The Fish.
How the custom respawn system works: There are 2 levers in the map which can be used to teleport dead players. Press and hold (6 sec) one of the levers.
One lever can be found above the gate to the right (close to the weapon stack) and the other one inside the keep behind the mounted machine gun. Each one of the levers can only be used once. A respawn-lever will disappear after it has been used.
- After everyone in your team died after 7mins, sometimes the L4D1 bots wouldn't appear the next round. This bug should now be fixed.
- The L4D2 music will now automatically turn off in each player's options when the battle starts.
EDIT: A few admins have reported that their L4D2 music doesn't automatically turn off - some servers block this command. For best experience make sure that the L4D2 music is off in options.
- Players will now start with melee weapons instead of pistols. You have my sword... and my axe!
L4D1 bots will still have pistols.
- Added a 3 second blackscreen fade at the beginning of every round - during this the map gets refreshed and survivors get their melee etc.
- Increased the time it takes to turn off the LOTR music (using the lever in the armory).
- Higher detailed areas including new custom models (NOTE: Some of the new details are weapons such as bows and spears etc., these weapons can't be used... yet).
- Changed all prop_physics (except explosives) into prop_dynamic_override (improves pings). Changed all prop_dynamics with no inputs into prop_statics (improves fps).
--- ITEM CHANGES (DETAILED DESCRIPTIONS) ---
- Added back the best weapon AK-47 at the beginning, but with a twist (read below)!
- There are now less weapons in certain weapon entities:
AK-47, Auto Shotgun, M16 Rifle, Hunting Rifle, SCAR Rifle, Sniper Rifle and Spas-12 = 2 weapons in each weapon entity.
Chrome Shotgun, Pump Shotgun, Silenced- and Normal-SMG = 1 weapon in each weapon entity.
These new values will nerf all tactics with players moving weapons from different locations and not everyone can choose the same main weapon at the beginning, there will be a lack of good weapons. Take note that this is also a performance improvement.
BUG: Bots ignore the amount of weapons in each weapon entity, this results in 3 bots having the same weapon even if there is only 1 weapon that can be picked up. This means that the values shown above may be different, for instance the Chrome shotgun sometimes has 2 weapons in its weapon entity but it should only have 1.
- The Magnum Pistol in the armory will now be there at the beginning, instead of appearing when you return (after you passed the witch). However I moved its position to the where all the melee items are so you get a chance to grab the Magnum before a bot does (Everyone will basically start with a melee but 1 lucky guy will get a magnum at the beginning - this means that chainsaws are great since they give a pistol after depleting it.)
- Removed 1 out of 2 chainsaws from the armory, however the removed chainsaw will appear when you return to the armory (after you passed the witch) to avoid players depleting chainsaws and taking lots of pistols early game.
- Deleted 1 out of 3 grenade launchers in the armory (This nerfs the weapon moving tactic and if a team used all 3 grenade launchers at the beginning it would just be laggy and noisy).
- Deleted 1 molotov in the armory.
- Several ammo piles will now last shorter for game balance, for instance: When the armory was blocked by the horses you could go right outside the keep and take ammo, this tactic can no longer be used.
Question: When do ammo piles get depleted?
Answer: Each ammo pile in an area with a strategic advantage has a "timed life", this time is synced with the events and the events occur at random times which means that the ammo pile accessibility is random. Some ammo piles have unlimited ammo, for instance the ammo pile inside the armory (the starting rooms).
- Deleted the explosive ammo found at the platform that unlocks when the deeping wall explode (If I ever find out how to put explosive ammo ALREADY DEPLOYED I could rework the item setup and create a better experience).
- When you jumped over the burning hay there would be a katana to the right. This katana has now been replaced with a Magnum Pistol, and the Magnum Pistol that could be found after you passed the katana has been replaced with a medkit.
- Replaced all the Normal-SMGs (except for the one in the armory) with Silenced SMGs.
- The explosive ammo above the gate has been replaced with a normal ammo pile, but it has very limited ammo (Experienced players would use the explosive ammo found above the gate to stumble the witch when they would retreat into the keep. If you want to use this tactic against the witch you need to carry explosive ammo found at the very beginning of the map).
- Deleted the M16 Rifle and the grenade launcher above the gate to the right, at the weapon stack.
- Deleted most of the items on the second floor inside the keep and added a Magnum Pistol where the box the box used to be (The box itself has been deleted due to performance reasons).
- Removed half of the health items that appear when you gear up for 20 sec before the charge event. The health items which have been removed will appear after you won the map in the armory on the same table.
Players will focus more on weapon selection, ammo refill etc. instead of healing with so many medkits, another reason is that there might be items (leftovers) within the charge path as you charge out, and a third reason is that when you win the map, you know there will always be medkits and pills (if you have used all the other health items in the map).
- Deleted 1 propane (white) from the wooden trap (that drop down explosives if you shoot it) outside the keep.
- Deleted 1 gascan outside the fortress where enemies don't walk.
- Added 1 molotov at the l4d1 bots location.
- Moved 1 gascan from L4D1 bots location to the platform directly behind/below the L4D1 bots.
- The gascans OUTSIDE the fortress in the field cannot be picked up. This will eliminate the tactic that allowed players to stack a great number of gascans and save them until the wall exploded or until fall back.
NOTE: The gascans very close to the zombie spawns can be picked up. If a gascan doesn't glow you cannot pick it up.
- Changed the position of a lot of items, but they are very close to their former locations.
--- NON-ITEM CHANGES ---
- If your entire team is still defending the stairs (which you use to fall back at approx. 7mins) maximum tank spawn will START when the survival timer hits approx. 8mins and 40 seconds . Once the gate event starts, after you've jumped over the burning hay, maximum tank spawn will STOP. No console message will be shown when maximum tank spawn starts or stops.
- Corrected all console messages (grammar errors) and shortened some ridiculously informative messages.
--- INSIDE THE KEEP ---
- Maximum tank spawn, when you are defending inside the keep, will now START when the sun rises, and it will STOP when all players are gathered at the top of the tower. The console message "WARNING: Tank spawn is now set to maximum!" has been deleted.
- When you are defending inside the keep, enemies will avoid taking very long paths to the keep (enemies are smarter). This will fix the lack of enemies and it also encourages players to use molotovs and pipebombs when defending inside the keep.
- The horses will now block the armory 1 min earlier, when the survival timer hits approx. 20mins.
- The mounted machine gun inside the keep has been balanced, it might catch on fire! You can still use it, at the cost of your hp. At the beginning the fire will not deal high dmg, as time passes the fire will deal higher dmg.
Question: What causes the mounted machine gun and the props around it to catch on fire?
Answer: A stack of gascans.
- During screen flash when the sun rises, ONLY enemies on the second floor inside the keep will die. This imba effect used to apply inside the entire keep (in old version).
- Added invisble walls at the top of the tower to prevent players from falling down when meeting with Gimli (when you win the map these invisble walls will disappear). This also blocks the shortcut for servers with gravity and fixes 3 glitches when the teleporting from the tower to the armory (when you are about to gear up before the charge).
- Added sligthly more common infected at the beginning of the charge event.
--- GANDALF EVENT ---
- The first player that reaches the field, at the end of the charge event, will no longer freeze (camera focused on Gandalf).
- At the end of the charge event all the players will be transported to Gandalf. This makes the Gandalf event less confusing and if someone gets incapped while charging out he can easily be saved, however the main reason is simply to make the special infected spawn (and surround you!).
- Players will now get pushed back if they try to go close to the zombie spawns during the Gandalf event (same effect like at the beginning of the map but applied to the Gandalf event).
- During the Gandalf event you can no longer run up the stairs which you use to fall back at 7mins and escape from the tanks. When you win the map the stairs will unlock again.
- The damage done by Gandalf's magic aura has been greatly reduced. Tanks are now a greater threat at this event.
- Players using cheats such as "noclip" can no longer make Gandalf arrive (as much as 15mins) earlier, faster win.
- Gandalf no longer shifts from not being animated to a default animation, he will start with a default animation.
--- VPK ---
- The map will now display what version it is in lobby, in games-in-progress list, in the map name in console and the vpk itself.
- Added fanart of -Helm's Deep- Reborn made by Action-Crab.
"Its completely hand drawn. I colored it with wooden crayons and promarker permanent pens. Then I scanned it, did some color correction and with paint I put the helms deep text." - Action-Crab
The fanart can also be seen in-game in the armory, it disappears once the battle starts.
- The addon description now contains useful information. Moved all "credits" from the addon description to a readme file inside the VPK.
- Added an addon image.
- Optimized almost everything in the VPK. Deleted unnecessary files and codes. Deleted advertising of campaigns and other maps (I did NOT delete advertising of different servers and the fanart of the LOTR campaign which was also made by Action-Crab).
In short: Faster download, faster loading, reduced chance of the vpk crashing, faster setup on dedicated servers, some errors in console are fixed and servers can easier keep up with the high amount of enemy NPCs that spawn.
--- BUG/GLITCH/STUCK FIXES ---
- Tanks and other enemies should no longer get stuck in the doorway (and suicide) when they are trying to enter the keep. In addition, i've fixed a few random locations where common infected always got stuck.
- Zombies are no longer immune to dmg for a few seconds when you are about to charge out.
- Common infected will now die if they are inside the armory when the horses go rampage.
- Fixed a few issues with the bots (Bots would freeze or not be able to help incapped teammates in some areas etc.).
- A total of 5 GAMEBREAKING bugs have been dealt with:
1. Fixed tanks punching humans on the fall back stair, causing humans to "bounce up" to buggy areas.
2. Fixed smokers tongue causing humans to get stuck after the burning hay at the weapon stack.
3. Fixed chargers pushing survivors up the fall back stairs before the survival timer hits (approx.) 7mins and bug the map.
4. Fixed the stables area not teleporting players after you geared up for 20 seconds. when the charge event is about to take place.
5. Fixed players getting stuck in the stables area when getting resurrected with a defib.
--- VISUAL IMPROVEMENTS ---
- Fixed a lot of texture flickering issues.
- Improved brightness/lightning on the second floor inside the keep.
- Changed parts of the mountain (texture) surrounding the fortress with a texture that doesn't have "edges".
- You will no longer see enemy heads sticking through the door before charging out at the charge event.
- You will no longer witness an automatic break of the Deeping wall edge and other objects when you look down right before you get teleported to the armory from the tower.
- Gandalf's fireworks, the visuals and sounds are now synchronized.
- Fixed a lot of clipping issues throughout the map. There are still some areas where enemy NPCs and players appear to be floating(!). I am well aware of this.
- Improvements for spectators (the LOTR characters appear and disappear more realistic etc.).
- ... and lots of minor tweaks and improvements - the map is a must try!
Changes from version 13 to 15:
Every... single... thing... has been improved.
-Helm's Deep- Reborn is now the most thrilling map to play. The question is, can you survive until Gandalf's arrival?
This is the full changelog:
- Everyone's time has been reset to 0.
- Major common infected spawn improvements, lag is almost completely gone and the gameplay is much better.
- Ammo piles can now run out of ammo (Version 15 will never be fully balanced because of unlimited ammo with pistols and mounted machine guns. A solution for the "unlimited ammo issue" (with pistols and mounted machine guns) will be made for version 16).
- Players can now customize their game by turning off the first 25mins LOTR music. Press and hold the lever in the armory (the startins rooms). When the music is off a small message will appear.
- Design, detail and terrain changes throughout the map (higher detailed), more accurate to the movie aswell as new objects/models have been added.
- Areas look more realistic due to texture orientation and design improvements.
- Added Legolas and horses with professional animations. Be careful, the horses might not stay calm during the battle!
- More areas won't look the same during the course of the game. The map is very dynamic with shifting enviorments.
- Console messages now all have the same structure (except for credits).
3 stars, space, info, space, 3 stars.
Example: *** Theoden King stands alone... ***
- Improved on-screen messages/directions/tips.
- Tweaked the times. Old version had greater intervals which made the game longer/shorter (unbalanced). The times are still random.
1. The Deeping Wall should now explode very close to 4mins.
2. Fall back very close to 7mins.
3. Retreat into the keep very close to 15mins.
The tower unlock time is based on witch kill.
- Cs knife can be found in the armory.
- Added, deleted, moved and perfected item setup throughout the whole map. (For instance: The gate area has less molotovs and the armory (The startings rooms) don't have all weapons, however all weapons will later appear when you return to the armory + lasersights).
- Reduced the sick amount of explosives.
- The 3 shutters above the gate will now start fully opened. The shutters cannot be closed. They are no longer dynamic because players got stuck if they stood on top of them while opening/closing.
- Added invisble walls in critical areas.
- The burning hay will continue to burn 6 seconds after the gate is lost (Players get a chance to move back without tanks storming you from behind). It will also fade more realistic.
- Removed the thundersound, so the music sounds better and to make voice chat less noisy.
- Removed decompile protection and i've made it easier for people to understand how the map works (in hammer) if you decompiled it.
- Deleted unnecessary files from the vpk and optimized some files for smaller size. However, file size increased because of all the new content.
- Gandalf's fireworks :D
- When you win the map, posters and pictures will appear, including fan art from my upcoming Lord of the Rings campaign!
---GAMEPLAY CHANGES INSIDE THE KEEP---
- The very first room that you start in (The stables area) will be blocked when you return (After you passed the witch).
- "Maximum tank spawn" will now start 6mins and 21sec earlier, but it will only last for 4mins and 11sec. When it goes back to normal no message will be shown.
- The armory (The starting rooms with weapons) will be blocked after 6mins of defence (Approx. 21mins on survival timer).
There are several ways to survive this mess. You can move items and weapons out of the armory before it closes and grab pistols + use the mounted machine gun. You can go outside the keep and grab ammo for you main weapon. You can go up to the second floor and survive using the pills on the table. Most of the tactics will be nerfed in the next version.
- During screen flash (when sun rises) all zombies inside the keep and a distance outside will die (You get a chance to defib players and the sound played, Gandalf's voice, won't be ruined by a tank's roar).
---CHARGE EVENT SPECIFIC---
- Health kits and pills that spawn in the armory when you gear up before the "charge event" are now organized and easier to see.
- Improved the space where players can move during the charge event.
- Objects on the ground (in the charge path) will no longer auto-break before "the charge event".
- One of the wooden traps (That drop down explosives if you shoot it) will now auto-break before "the charge event".
- Improved areas that would cause your fps to drop from high to low instantly, more stable fps now.
- Fixed all models/overlays with no fade distance and optimized some model's/overlay's fade distance.
- Final nodraw texturing (Less lag in general).
- Optimized ALL physics for ultimate pings!
- Improved map loading speed.
- Gandalf and Gimli will no longer increase your ping.
- Improved performance when you minimize to desktop while playing the map and return, however you should avoid minimizing.
- Fixed crashes on GTX 295 and similar Multi-GPU graphic cards (Removed a lot of smoke particles from the map).
- Players will no longer get stuck in the torch in the tunnel before the burning hay.
- Players can no longer climb up on top of Gandalf or Gimli. Zombies will no longer appear to be climbing Gandalf.
- If you died durning "slow motion" at the Gandalf event, the next round would be entirely in slow motion. This should be fixed now.
- Fixed zombies getting stuck in a lot of areas (This will increase difficulty). A few objects will also auto-break when you move to a new section of the map to avoid zombies getting stuck.
- Deleted a ladder for zombies which caused tanks to get stuck. This was the main reason why no (or too few) tanks would appear inside the keep.
- Fixed an issue when the Fall back message on-screen would not disappear eventhough you moved back.
- Fixed items/humans/zombies floating below the bridge/gate, to the far left side, and you will no longer get spit if you stay there.
- Fixed all known locations where humans bounced up and down, if a smoker got you with his tongue.
- L4d1 bots use a special debug system that greatly reduces the chance of them blocking the path where the wall explodes or standing in front of mounted machine guns, or acting really wierd.
- Fixed some minor bugs related to molotovs/gascans/fireworks (The spinning molotov bug on the wall still remains, I do not want to change this, it's too unique).
- Fixed a lot of bugs caused by chargers and they can no longer push humans over certain edges.
- Fixed players getting stuck between rocks, very close to l4d1 bots.
- Players trying to walk very far in the distance (close to zombie spawn areas) will now get pushed back.
- When you win the map, all invisble walls surrounding the tower will be removed (To make the jump from the tower more fun and so you can defib dead players within these).
- Fixed bots getting stuck on the broken parts of the Deeping Wall (when the wall explodes). In addition, it's harder for players to camp on the broken wall edges.
- The gate will auto-break moments before the keep opens, if you for some wierd reason manage to hold it that long.
- Depending on what server you play on, sometimes the rain doesn't stop eventhough sun has risen. This bug still remains unsolved.
--- GRAPHICS IMPROVEMENTS---
- Fixed all light errors when the map is in daylight. More realistic sunlight at the top of the tower. Fixed all models that were pitch black at day. Fixed a few buggy and missing shadows when the map shifted from night to day.
- Fixed a lot of unrealistic light when the map is in nighttime.
- Smoke will no longer change color into blue.
- Improved map brightness, the map is slightly more lit up.
- Fixed noticeable visual errors related to mounted machine guns.
- Fixed all wrong texture placements.
- Gave a lot of close-up-enviorment better texture resolution and improved the mountain texture in a few of areas.
- Added more variety of textures (but still not perfect).
- Fixed noticeable missing textures.
- Improved all overlays that were put "in a hurry".
- A lot of objects will no longer appear to be "inside" any other object or wall, perfection.
- Fixed all remaining known locations where you could see outside the map.
--- SERVER PLUGINS/MUTATION IMPROVEMENTS---
- When using "4+ player plugins" and you spawn more players, the starting rooms will continue teleport players for 7mins after the battle has been started, this will fix a lot of problems.
- Minor improvements for servers with gravity enabled.
- Minor improvements when playing as special infected, but it will never be perfect for "Versus survival" because the map is to big.
- Gandalf's aura does 50% less dmg, still enough to instant kill a tank, but for modified servers it's not. In addition, enemies high above Gandalf (A leaping hunter for instance) will no longer get killed.
- Reduced the speed for players jumping with gravity, during the charge event.
- Blocked windows shortcut (above the witch) for players using gravity.
- For servers with "4+ player plugins" there is now less amount of weapons in each weapon entity so not everyone can pick a sniper in the beginning (Also to avoid griefers trying to lag the server).
- ...and 100's of other improvements.
---PREFABS THAT WERE REMOVED OR ON HOLD---
Here are descriptions of prefabs and ideas which were created in version 14 (tested by several players non-public because of the possibilites of bugs and feedback was needed on short notice) and why they never made it to version 15 (NOTE: Only read this if you're wondering why a lot of awesome things weren't added):
1. NPCs with guns. I received severals complaints, why I would even consider the idea of having lotr characters use modern weapons, so all the elven npcs have been deleted including Legolas support, end of story.
2. The wall explosion, gate- and door break still remains cheap. I have not added particles, props and stuff flying from a great explosions nor made the gate/doors very entity rich because of performance reasons, a lot of people complain about low fps in this map (Because they don't know how to go to options and turn down their video settings/gore setting? :D )
3. An uruk-hai berserker (with a lot of hp, no phys file) running towards the Deeping Wall to blow it up. He was removed - since this event happends early in-game, to repetitive - and of course players would try to run out and block the torch bearer resulting in the death of someone in your team.
4. Exploration of a part of Helm's Deep before starting the battle (shooting an uruk-hai in the distance to start.) Yes this was such an awsome idea, but after watching all testers do the same thing... moving ALL the items to a superior location and then starting the battle followed by an "easy" win, it was really based on how much you prepared instead of how much teamwork and skill your team had.
5. Barricade building throughout the map. It doesn't work well in survival due to the fact that if tanks would get stuck in these boards you will get spit and followed by incap, and there are too many tanks in this map for this to be bug free, maximum tank spawn ouch.
6. Five wounded npcs. The keep would open at 20mins, each npc that you helped up, you would speed up the keep opening by 1min. So 5 npcs, 5mins and the keep would open at 15 mins (which is the normal time). But I removed all of this because it made the game to hard for beginners and teams with bots. I will however save this prefab for possible future update since it adds a lot of replay value to the map. The npcs spawn randomly using very simple entities and outputs. They don't walk away, they fade after you helped them up.
7. Uruk-hai models (reskinn of zombies). The Uruk-hai (and Cave Troll) models are not very good in large numbers (massive fps drop), they will be on hold until fully optimized.
8. More levers in the armory (Map customization): "Fun music", "extreme mode" and "exploration mode".
"Fun music" increased file size to much (HLDJ is smarter, just turn off the lotr music and you're all set). "Extreme mode" (All zombies spawning from entities were armored zombies) isn't longer needed since the map is now harder. "Exploration mode", you can explore the whole map but you cannot win the map, no gandalf. All of these levers have been deleted.
9. L4d1 bots teleporting and helping in more situations. L4d1 bots living longer caused a lack of "special infected" which made it too easy, even if the special infected would spawn normally the l4d1 bots still have superior aim when shooting which makes it too easy to survive when standing close to them.
Changes from version 12 to 13:
This is a more polished version of -Helm's Deep- Reborn. Now with full support for servers using all kinds of mods from !usepoints plugin to unlimited health plugin. The map has also been improved for versus survival along with some major fps and ping improvements. Visually the map is really stunning now. This version is a must-have for any fan of LOTR and L4D2!
- When all players have to meet Gimli at the top of the tower, the next event will NOT start if a player is incapacitated somewhere else in the map. This fixes 3 known glitches (and possibly more with the use of plugins).
- Fixed zombies getting stuck in a torch behind the wall during Gandalf event. 20 zombies could get stuck while those that climbed over it were burned by the fire.
- Major texture fixes and tweaks. Changed lightmap scale, texture scale and shift throughout the map. Look-alike textures changed into 1 common texture. In short, the map looks better, less lag and smaller file size.
- Disabled a great number of shadows which you couldn't see. If you can't see the shadows, might aswell disable all of them. This is a nice performance improvement if you're playing on a slow pc.
- Tweaked all invisble walls. Full support for mods/plugins such as low gravity, !usepoints, unlimited hp and versus survival.
- Fixed a great number of bugs related to mounted machine guns.
- Fixed all visual bugs related to water. Major tweaks on the pools of water for maximum fps.
- Fixed a visual bug in the ground behind the l4d1 survivors.
- Minor item/weapon changes. Sligthly better gameplay.
- Improved the fire in the tunnel. Less lag, more realistic, less damage done to survivors etc. It's now pretty obvious that you can jump over it without dying.
- Greatly reduced the size of the vpk. Great things come in small packages.
NOTE: This is not the full list of changes, but I have NOT changed the difficulty or behaviour of bots.
Changes from version 11 to 12:
The map is much easier overall, however some parts still require good teamwork. If I made it any easier it wouldn't be much of a challange nor fun.
- Reduced the time it takes to win the map by 10 minutes. The hall and especially the tower have had their times reduced before the next events occur. Instead of fighting in the tower for ages, you will now go straight to the "charge event".
- Added loads of new hints, guides and tips that will show up on-screen to help you, of course you need to have this enabled in options to see them. The hints are not overdone, only essential events have hints.
- Increased the time before the zombies will attack the gate by 20 seconds.
- When you stand above the gate, smokers can only pull you down to the ramp, not all the way down to water, so it's easier to defib that person.
- The firewall after first retreat, in the tunnel, will kill all enemies trying to pass it. Enemies will no longer backstab you while you are defending the gate, but the fire will disappear when the gate breaks.
- Loads of items have been added, deleted and moved all over the map.
- Reduced common infected spawnrate by 20% after the wall explodes. This decrease would occurr 3 mins after wall exploded in the old version.
- Francis and Zoey will live 3 mins longer. No changes to Louis. All l4d1 survivor bots will die when you need to fall back.
- Added "slow motion" as a part of the Gandalf event.
- You get 5 more seconds to gear up before the "charge event".
- Further reduced the extra speed at "charge event "by 20%.
- Fixed all "floating" props.
- Fixed physics blocking the path inside The Great Hall at the "charge event".
Changes from version 10 to 11:
- The L4D1 bot survivors will NOT survive forever. Francis and Zoey will die when the wall explodes. Louis with the mounted machine gun will die when you need to fallback. Their bodies will also disappear so you cannot defib them.
- Added a simple LOTR loading screen.
- Decreased the amount of health related items behind the deeping wall.
- The L4D1 survivors will drop their health items when they die.
- Fixed a big defib exploit in the armory. There was a trick to get outside the armory in the beginning of the map, into the hall, and also at the "gear up" before charge event you could escape and totally bug the map.
- The turret that Louis uses will be destroyed so it cant be used at the Gandalf event.
- Reduced the extra speed gained at the "charge event" by 20%.
- Added more explosive- and incendiary- ammo throughout the level.
- Removed a few items that were never used such as pipebombs, in the Hornburg area.
- Added slightly more time before the zombies will attack the main gate. However the main gates health remains the same.
- Added more support for modded servers using low gravity. Blocked a lot of bugged spots that caused the "spit effect", tanks could also punch you up to these spots. The "charge event" is NOT bugged if you use low gravity.
- Fixed a visual bug in the ground exactly where the wall explodes. You could see outside the map.
- Major performance improvements.
Changes from version 9 to 10:
There are too many changes to write here but some of the most important changes are:
- Daylight is totally reworked, the whole map lits up just like in the movie!
- FOOORTH EOORLINGAS! New charge event with only common infected in your path!
- Gandalf will come, the map has an ending, you "survive", not endless fighting.
- Removed the official sound mega_mob (horde scream) which was extremely annoying, especially after the timer was around 20mins, the sound would play like every 5 seconds, you couldn't hear the LOTR custom sounds.
- Performance improvements. More nodraw textures on small details, better fade distance on models and areaportals are more effective.
- New sounds and custom models/effects.
Helm's Deep Reborn public release, version 9.
Helm's Deep Reborn version 18.
Defend the great fortress of Rohan and survive until Gandalf's arrival.